Solicitor specialising in E-Commerce and online businesses
I am an expert in E-commerce; I’ve been there done that with my own very successful online businesses. I have dealt with hundreds of online businesses and every time we strive to provide:
- Plain English Advice
- Time – to understand your situation and all that you’re faced with
- Results – getting the best possible result for you
- Value – fixed fees for your certainty where possible
- Convenience – meetings by phone, video call or in-person at a time to suit you.
What legal documents does an online e-commerce business need?
Quite a few, but many people assume that they can just copy them from another website – but be warned, that could lead to claims for copyright infringement.
Trading online is not much different from trading in the real world. It is strongly recommended that you have good solid terms and conditions to rely upon if you need to.
By their nature, all ecommerce transactions when done with consumers are governed by distance selling regulations (Consumer Protection Distance Selling Regulations 2000) and of course the Consumer Contracts Regulations. There are other laws which apply of course.
This includes Data Protection Act and GDPR – which requires you to provide certain information and obtain consent to use certain personal data.
Whether you’re creating a simple website, a full blown online shop, or even an App, you need to ensure that you have good legal contracts in place. These will include:
- E-commerce Terms and Conditions
- Woocommerce/ Shopping cart Terms & Conditions
- App Terms & Conditions
Why use me as an Online Business Lawyer?
I’m Steven Mather and I am a very experienced solicitor. I have dealt with a significant number of hi-tech clients and even ran my own online businesses since around 1996. I qualified as a solicitor in 2008 and was most recently Head of Litigation at an award winning law firm in Leicester before setting up on my own.
I’m not just online though; I’m real. I’m based in Leicester, but act for online businesses (and real businesses) throughout the East Midlands and Nationwide.
Recent examples of e-commerce work
Here’s a sample of the kinds of legal work I’ve dealt with recently:
- terms and conditions for an “uber” style app
- hundreds of privacy policies, privacy notices etc
- trademarks for Amazon and eBay sellers
- T&Cs for online shopping carts
- advice regarding distance selling
- advice regarding the sale of airbags (pyrotechnics) online
- sale of smell-a-like perfumes online
- EULA hardware and software licence agreements
How much do e-commerce legal documents cost?
I like to work on a fixed fee basis, but feel free to give me a call and I can give you a more bespoke quote or fee for advice.
If you’re unsure on the question of fees, or on any aspect of running an online business and need to speak to a solicitor, then call me, Steven Mather.
Just fill in the form on the side of this page, or give us a call to discuss further.
Instruct Me Now
To instruct an ecommerce/online business specialist, contact me now.
Online Business Solicitor
Call on 0116 3667 900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org